Now that I’m all settled in this strange new city they call “H-town”, I wanted to share my internship experiences, random facts, and fun endeavors that I have encountered.
Today, Tuesday the 26th of August, was my first day on the job as a dietetic intern at Alief Independent School District. I arrive at approximately 8:05am (whoops) and meet the many nutrition supervisors of the school district.
Kara took me around to two elementary schools, a high school, a middle school, and the annex cafeteria, where we supervised the staff to make sure HACCP safety guidelines were being followed and that each student received the proper amount of broccoli, orange slices, and milk.
Of course, its the second day of school for them too, so computer systems were breaking down and we were running everywhere to fix them. Let it be known that I felt like I was a lost puppy following around the wrong owner for 5 hours.
Now that you got an idea of what my first day was like, I’ll never do it as a career. One thing I DID learn from today was that school foodservice is NOT what I thrive for. But with that being said, it doesn’t mean I’m not enjoying my time with the lovely supervisors who went through the same internship experiences as me.
When you’re 1400 miles away from Michigan and only live in the south for less than a week, you notice some HUGE differences all around you.
1. What they say about southern hospitality is true. EVERYONE is so friendly and polite. I’ve gotten “I’m sorry” and “oh, excuse me” thrown at me left and right, just because.
2. Even with 5 lanes of highway road, there’s still always traffic. Any time of day. expect to travel through town for hours on end!
3. Laundromats are called washateria’s.
4. It’s true, it is SUPER hot and humid. But I love it! No complaints here… it sure beats the freezing Michigan weather! But, say goodbye to outdoor runs – or being outdoors at all for that matter.
5. I usually can pay $2.85 for gas on a normal day
6. Houston never ends. I don’t know how it’s not the largest city in America.
7. The city line is G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S.
All in all, I love it here and I’m never leaving.
That’s all for now, folks!
A Fitness Blog about Gym Training, Sport Fashion, Healthy Nutrition and Active Travel – By Faya Nilsson
Healthy Living for Every Body
My study abroad adventures in Santander, Spain!
a glimpse into our crazy married life
Open your mouth and feed your soul...